I'm calling it 'Calico Lemongrass'.
It's time to tell all about my adventure with my all natural batch with 100 percent water replacement for my lye solution.
Wow, what a roller-coaster ride it ended up being - and I have pictures to prove it!
For the scent I chose 'Mother Earth' blend - an all essential oil blend from Wholesale Supplies Plus.
The batch Oil was 100% Olive Oil.
I chose Cucumber juice as my water replacement. Cucumbers are part of the squash family and are known to have many health benefits.
Benefits include: antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
*The vitamin nutrients most likely will not survive the Lye however I am curious what color and texture qualities this will add to my soap.
Here are links for a breakdown of Cucumber nutrients and research... (you may need to copy and paste)
Since I wasn't sure my Cucumbers had been sprayed in cultivation, I chose not to include the skin in my juice, to avoid contaminates. I used a juicer that separated the pulp, so this was fairly clear juice.
I froze the juice before adding the lye.
For the color layer I chose, to add:
*Kale juice to my green to try as it seems to have such a deep color to it. I did not reduce any liquid from this juice.
*Carrot juice that I reduced down to remove some water - on the stove -to strengthen the color. I like the thought of it being a nutrient rich food, that is great for the skin as well having Retinol and multiple minerals.
Info on carrots can be found at:
*Lemon zest - about 1 tsp. - steeped in 1 Tbsp. of water to release some color, then reduced water by 1/2.
* t tsp. Paprika steeped in 1 Tbsp. of water then reduced to a thin paste.
I didn't see alot of color definition when I put the colors into the soap batter.
NOW FOR SOME LESSONS LEARNED!!!
I decided after molding to put my loaf in a warm oven to assist complete gel stage as I had combined at a low temp. It seemed a good idea at the time. However, my bottom / green layer that had the most liquid, well .... liquefied so badly, I could actually see bubbles move around in the mold. Egad!
I un-molded th next day and cut off most of the green. The other layers seems solid and salvage worthy. Note to self - less liquid in colors - and maybe no added heat - ill have to experiment with that another time.Then I had the thought to speed up the drying out of the trimmed loaf by setting it in the sun for 'a bit'. A few hours later, before going to work I remembered my loaf. Meltdown!!! NEVER leave soap in the direct sun and forget about it!
After letting the loaf set overnight to solidify, I cut it up into chunks to use as embeds.
The colors seem to be darkening slightly from what they originally looked in the batter. Hooray!
I again used Cucumber juice as my lye liquid replacement, and Olive Oil. I did combine at a higher temp this time - 105 degrees.
I did not have any Mother Earth EO left - so I used Lemongrass, and Lavender to complement the embed scent.
The top was too plain, so I zested some lemon peel and sprinkled it on top.
I can't wait to see how it turn out when I cut!
Here are expanded views of the loaf as it was cut:
I've really enjoyed this challenge! I feel more inspired to experiment with my Lye liquids, and natural colors. I look forward to seeing what everyone else came up with and reading how they did it!
Thank you & Happy day to all!